Do you have a PHD in Science, Mechanical or technical?
Do you have strong analytical skills and adaptability as to subject matter?
Do you have a high level of affinity with technology?
We have a very exciting role within an award winning, growing local company as they wish to appoint a Science Technical Analyst. If interested or would like more information call Hannah on 02895 380396 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Our client is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. By turning their insight, technology and talent into ground-breaking solutions, they've earned a place at the forefront of the industry. Their lawyers are leaders in their field - and the same goes for the support teams. Ambitious, driven and open to fresh perspectives, they find innovative new ways to deliver the services and maintain reputation for excellence, in all that they do.
The Scientific and Technical Analysts (STA) are PhD level scientists who are able to support the production of expert reports, review scientific publications, patents, medical reports and other technical documents and perform a range of other technical tasks. The STAs will work alongside the legal teams and clients on matters which involve technically complex material. While they will work across all practice groups, the primary focus will be in the disputes arena. They will have had involvement in disputes from end to end and will be expected to undertake business development activities with our clients and develop more junior members of the team. Senior STAs are also supported with further study and training should they want to undertake further relevant technical study, PGDL or suitable equivalent.
Role and responsibilities
This role involves working alongside lawyers and clients on a range of activities as set out below in addition to taking on a greater BD and people development role within the Science Analyst team.
Scientific and Technical Analyst - activities
- Undertake business development activities with the clients alongside lawyers
- Utilising experience of disputes matters and trials be able to take a more leading role in the management of a case
- Dealing with complex and challenging litigation matters
- Train, develop and mentor new science analysts in the team
- Act as a sounding board for other senior science analysts
- Continually building technical and scientific knowledge and sharing that with the team
- Show initiative and leadership
- Begin to generate and develop work streams independently and for department
- Adopt culture of innovation and adopt ability to meet client and time demands
- Document disclosure review using Collaborate and Relativity platforms
- Undertaking background literature review and summary
- Completing first drafts of primers and expert report sections
- Assisting with the identification of expert witness candidates and reviewing due diligence (publications, conference abstracts etc) and fast checking expert reports
- Preparing claim charts
- Monitoring patent filings and competitor outputs, mapping patent family trees
- Attending experiments
- Undertaking IP portfolio due diligence and assistance in patent litigation matters
- Undertaking analysis and preparing summaries of clients' technology, specific scientific fields or related judgments or proceedings
- Drafting aspects of client pitches and update articles on scientific developments
- Involvement in drafting of duty of care reports
- Providing trial summaries and updates and attending at trial
- PhD or MSc level engineering (mechanical or electrical) and/or physics background and technically excellent
- Able to digest complex technical material and provide explanations in layman's terms
- Strong analytical skills and adaptability as to subject matter
- A high level of affinity with technology
- Detail focused and self-motivated approach
- Strong organisational skills with the ability to manage multiple and conflicting deadlines
- Consistently demonstrate a professional manner with evidence of exceptional levels of judgement, commercial awareness and critical thinking.
- Proven ability to take ownership of own work
- Strong relationship building skills - a team player with the ability to establish credibility and inspire confidence with clients and senior colleagues
- Ability to train, develop and motivate others
- Must show evidence of a high level of personal resilience coupled with an ambition to continuously challenge oneself and others
Please submit your application or speak to a specialist consultant from the Abacus team on 0044 (0) 28 9031 3157 for a confidential discussion. We aim to respond to all inquiries within 4 business hours.
The team at Abacus manages a range of permanent and contract positions throughout Northern Ireland, the UK and the Republic of Ireland. If you are experienced and/or professionally qualified we can support your job search.
Experience: 0 yrs