Vacancy Reference - 18751
We are currently recruiting for a Theatre Technician to be based in Newtownabbey. This will be a full-time temporary role consisting of 37 hours per week for three months. Hours of work will be on a shift pattern basis.
Duties & Responsibilities:
* As a member of the Arts and Culture team, contribute to the effective delivery of operational objectives of the Arts and Culture Section.
* To assess and assist with the needs of visiting companies as appropriate, co-ordinate, communicate and facilitate their technical requirements and be an effective interface between external partners and Council employees.
* Responsible for ensuring the Health and Safety standards required by law in all areas of responsibility are observed and maintained and that duties are carried out within the Health and Safety at Work (Northern Ireland) Order 1978 and the Council's safety policy.
* Work as show crew and supervise 'on-call technicians promoting good working practice and high production values. Ensure technicians under your supervision are aware of appropriate Health and Safety Regulations, follow safe working practices, and conform to the appropriate legislative and licensing requirements.
* Mentor, support and train new staff including ability to pass on skills and give direction to lesser graded, casual staff and freelance staff ensuring they are enabled to carry out their duties effectively and efficiently. Making best use of their time and keeping an accurate record of hours worked.
* Schedule casual and freelance staff ensuring a full complement of staff as per operational requirements and suitable provision for holiday and sickness cover as requested.
* As lead production technician for a show/event responsible for overseeing all technical aspects of performances, events, conference and hire directly under your control. Such as rigging, flying activities and the operation of the technical equipment ensuring that they are carried out in a suitable manner.
* Meet with and undertake inductions with visiting companies, carryout viewings, meet and greet, acting as technical main contact for production companies and internal/external clients regarding conferencing and events.
* Liaise with internal department officers, external hire clients in regards to conferencing and events requiring technical assistance beyond normal operations. Ensuring A.V. and technical requirements/resources for conferencing areas are regularly inspected, stored and operational to meet client requirements.
* Designing, co-ordinating, arranging technical equipment/resources and delivering technical aspects for cultural events as required.
* Assist the Technical Manager to ensure the effective and efficient administration of the Technical Department, including adherence to corporate guidelines and procedures, action plans, contractual arrangements, reports, procurement procedures and Health and Safety documentation.
* Assist in the monitoring of budgets and expenditure for staffing, supplies, resources, hired services and consumables. Maintain supplies of materials and equipment to meet the requirements of the service, manage organisation of storage and ensure periodical inventory checks are completed.
* Proactively ordering resources necessary for the arts and culture technical service to operate. Maintain stocks, inventory and undertake regular stocktakes.
* Ensure that all arts and culture technical equipment resources, and facilities are properly maintained, recorded and managed.
* Ensure the annual and regular maintenance of all stage and arts and culture technical equipment, including inspections, and arranging the necessary maintenance, maintaining associated records and certificates. Report and follow up maintenance faults to appropriate service department or external companies and oversee contractors carrying out completion of repair work.
* Be a key holder to open/lock up arts and culture facilities as directed, and act as the Responsible Person in Charge along with other members of the team as required.
* Assist with the preparation of specifications and other tender documentation for the provision of services and equipment to the facilities as required.
* Keep abreast of new technical developments within the industry and make recommendations where appropriate. Personally undertake First aid and additional training as required to progress the Arts and Culture section.
* Assist the Technical Manager and ensure that Risk Assessments, and Method Statements are undertaken and recorded for all in-house and visiting productions, performances and events, monitor results and take appropriate action.
* Deputise for the Technical Manager as required.
* To work flexibly across all venues in accordance with operational needs, ensuring necessary high standards of service delivery and consistency are achieved.
It is essential that interested candidates meet the following criteria -
* 5 GCSEs (to include English and Maths) at Grades A-C or equivalent
* Consideration may be given to candidates who do not have the above qualifications but have 3 years proven technical experience in a theatre or production company
* Has a minimum of 2 years proven technical experience in a theatre or production company
* Excellent knowledge of Health and Safety Legislation particularly in relation to technical theatre
* Experience of stage, audio, lighting or audio visual projection
* Good knowledge of sound
* Good knowledge of lighting
* Good knowledge of audio visual projection
* As the post involves significant physical and manual handling elements, the post holder must be of a satisfactory level of fitness
* Full current driving licence or, if a disability prevents driving, access to a suitable form of transport to enable the duties of the post to be carried out in full
* Must be available to work evenings, weekends and public holidays as scheduled on the rota provided in advance.
Desirable criteria -
* Hold an additional relevant qualification.
* Dealing with the public.
* Supervisory experience within an Arts and Theatre environment
* Specialist expertise in either sound, lighting or audio visual projection
* Experience of counterweight flying systems including maintenance
For this role, Kennedy Recruitment is acting in the capacity of an employment business.
Kennedy Recruitment is an equal opportunities employer and a Corporate Member of the Recruitment and Employment Confederation (REC). Kennedy Recruitment adheres to all current employment legislation.
Please note only those candidates shortlisted may be contacted.