Grafton Recruitment are working in partnership with a large public sector organisation to recruit a temporary Legal Officer (DP) to start ASAP for a duration of 3 months.
Pay rate: 0-12 week's £12.00
13+ week's £19.37
Location: Belfast, BT2
Hours: 37 hours per week 9:00am-5:00PM
- Formulate and oversee the maintenance of the COPNI's legal assistance and casework, in line with the COPNI's overall policies.
- Ensure the development of systems and processes to ensure effective handling of applications for legal assistance from COPNI within financial and strategy criteria.
- Ensure the appropriate procedures, controls and structures are in place for the effective, efficient management of casework and monitor their outputs and outcomes.
- Undertake and manage legal research and produce recommendations to government for legislative change.
- Formulate and oversee the maintenance of the COPNI's strategic approach to the selection and conduct of formal investigations.
- Ensure appropriate action is taken to minimise risk of judicial review when conducting formal investigations.
- Ensure cost effective and efficient conduct of formal investigations.
- Ensure the establishment and maintenance of effective systems and processes in respect of investigations and complaints arising in respect of S75 Northern Ireland Act, both individual and Commission generated.
- Develop and deliver business plans and programmes of work for the Legal Division.
- Provide high quality leadership to the Legal Division, ensuring that any line managed staff are effectively motivated, managed and developed and that appropriate arrangements are in place for supervision and appraisal.
- Ensure that services provided are responsive, flexible, cost effective, and delivered within an appropriate timescale using established organisational and management systems.
- Demonstrate a high level of personal integrity and maintain professional standards throughout the Legal Division.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining effective communication within the Legal Division and with the rest of the organisation.
- Provide effective, timely advice and information to the Commissioner, Chief Executive, members of the Senior Management Team and the broader COPNI team.
- Establish good working relationships and effective communication with the sponsoring government department.
- All staff are expected to comply with Data Protection, Freedom of Information and COPNI requirements relating to documentation and record keeping.
- Undertake any other duties on behalf of COPNI as assigned by the Commissioner/Chief Executive or Head of Legal and Policy Advice, as appropriate to the grade.
- Possess a degree in law or legal studies or of which law is the major component accompanied by another subject
- Are a solicitor or barrister who currently holds or is entitled to hold a certificate to practice in the jurisdiction of Northern Ireland
- Have at least three year's PQE
- Experience of researching and drafting legal policy papers. In this context legal policy means the examination of the law taking account of social, economic and other relevant factors'
- Experience of handling investigations and enquiries leading to legal casework.
- One year's experience of managing an individual or team.
- An understanding of issues affecting older people covered by the Commissioner for Older People for Northern Ireland's remit.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in order to discharge their responsibility for both case review and additional functions as outlined within the job description.
Successful applicants will be required to undertake an Access NI Disclosure check at a cost of £18/£33. A person's criminal record will not, in itself, debar that person from being appointed to this post. Any information given will be treated in the strictest confidence.
To be shortlisted for this role all applicants MUST meet the essential criteria. If you are interested please upload your CV to the link provided, Fiona Magee will be in touch to confirm if you have been shortlisted.
**PLEASE NOTE THIS ROLE MAY BE FILLED VERY QUICKLY BUT WE WILL KEEP YOUR DETAILS ON FILE FOR ANY FUTURE ROLES THAT COME THROUGH THAT YOU MAY BE INTERESTED IN**
This may not matter to you when you're looking for a new opportunity, but we just wanted to tell you a little bit about Grafton. We know that finding the right job can be challenging and we have the tools and resources to help you succeed. An established recruitment agency since 1983, we offer permanent and temporary job solutions to lots of different clients in multiple industry sectors in Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland
Experience: 0 yrs