Large government department, Belfast based, 3-6 month contract, £31,137 pro rata. Health & Safety Advisor
Your new company
Our client is a government department who employ over 650 staff located across 7 sites, specialising in research and development across Natural and Marine Environment, Animal, Plant and Human Health, Welfare and Sustainable livestock production.
Your new role
This is a contract position for an initial 3-6 month period based from South Belfast but also requiring regular working presence from two other sites (East Belfast and Hillsborough). The contracted working hours will be 37.5 per week Monday to Friday.
The main duties and responsibilities include:
- To support the Health and Safety Unit deliver its core functions
- COVID-19 risk assessment, inspection and mitigations to ensure preparedness and compliance with relevant guidance for staff return to work;
- Accident and incident investigation (reactive) and devising strategies and guidance to target improvements (e.g. sharps and, vehicle safety);
- Assist staff with the completion of risk assessments, by providing advice and guidance, and ensure that risk assessments (general and specific, such as COSHH, new and expectant mothers, first aid, manual handling, DSE, etc.) are completed for all activities with significant risks.
- Conducting workplace inspections for a variety of workplace environments (including laboratories, agricultural facilities and remote fieldwork) and assisting in the closure of external audit findings relating to Health and Safety Management Systems audits, regulatory inspections, Dangerous Goods Audits, etc.;
- Training development and delivery for a range of key topics including laboratory safety (chemical and biological), work machinery and equipment safety, and agricultural safety.
- Provision of technical advice and guidance to staff on risk management, legislative requirements and health and safety best practice.
What you'll need to succeed
To be eligible for this role you must have the following:
1a) A degree (2:2 level or above in any discipline) and a recognised professional occupational health and safety qualification at Diploma level or above which enables the applicant to meet the requirements for IOSH 'Graduate Member' grade*.
1b) A minimum of 2 years' practical experience of operating as a health and safety advisor within a complex organisation**.
2a) A recognised professional occupational health and safety qualification at Diploma level or above which enables the applicant to meet the requirements for IOSH 'Graduate Member' grade*.
2b) A minimum of 4 years' practical experience of operating as a health and safety advisor within a complex organisation**.
3) Hold a full driving licence which enables the holder to drive a car in Northern Ireland. * Equivalent to the European Qualification Framework Level 6 -
Bachelors/PGD/MSc/NQF/QCF Level 6 Diploma (BSC), NVQ Level 5 Diploma, SCQF Level 10 Diploma or cognate degree (i.e. where at least 60% of the degree is directly related to health and safety).
What you'll get in return
This is a superb opportunity to gain experience working with a large government department.
The salary is £31,137 along with 37 days annual leave pro rata.
You will be paid weekly via BACS every Friday morning.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.
Experience: 0 yrs