Your new company
An International Investment bank are recruiting for In House Legal Counsel to join their team in Belfast. The EMEA Legal division is a critical part of the organization, It provides a wide range of services, support and advice to many business areas, including general advice, document drafting, as well as oversight of regulatory developments and requirements. UKC and IPB businesses are primarily focused on wealth management and operate across 2 booking centers: London and Jersey. UKC/IPB offer a variety of products, including Mutual Funds, Structured Products, International Brokerage, Secured Overdraft, Margin Lending, Leveraged Lending, Cash Accounts and Time Deposits in multiple currencies and Currency Trading. Target market - individuals with net worth between 100,000 USD and 10,000,000 USD
Your new role
You will be responsible for legal matters affecting UK Consumer (UKC) and International Personal Bank EMEA (IPB) businesses and will lead the team of lawyers in Belfast focusing on UKC/IPB matters. The team will consist of 2 other lawyers with local reporting lines to the successful candidate. This position offers an opportunity to work on a wide range of matters related to UKC and IPB products and distribution channels and be involved in advising the businesses in relation to evolving regulatory landscape. You will advise UKC/IPB businesses in accordance with applicable laws and regulations and internal policies and standards
As part of the internal control architecture of the firm, the Legal function plays an important part in the approval process for the distribution of all new and/or innovative products and services, at the same time seeking to protect the franchise through good judgment and compliance with policies and applicable law and regulation
You will be expected to be involved with that assessment of appropriateness of products and/or services both for the customers and for the business. Commercial and regulatory awareness, as well as good judgment, are essential skills for the successful candidate. The role involves a supervisory responsibility and ability to delegate, as appropriate, to 2 other members of the Legal team based in Belfast
What you'll need to succeed
- Qualified solicitor in England and Wales with significant post qualification experience (ideally over 5 years PQE)
- Previous experience working as a qualified solicitor in major international bank, a large law firm and/or a regulatory authority in the UK.
- Significant professional experience as a lawyer in retail banking/wealth management with a major international bank operating in the UK, a law firm and/or a regulatory authority in the UK.
- Ability to develop and implement legal strategies tailored to specific business needs
- Broad knowledge of retail banking/wealth management legal and regulatory issues.
- Previous management experience would be beneficial.
- Excellent technical skills (including drafting skills), and analytical ability.
- Strong business judgement and commercial attitude.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Ability to analyse complex legal issues, develop creative solutions and provide sound legal advice to the business.
- Commitment to collaborative working
- Excellent communication skills (both written and oral)
- Attention to detail
- Planning and organising skills
- Team-work skills
- Ability to work to tight deadlines
- Ability to work on a remote basis
What you'll get in return
Excellent salary and package are on offer plus,
- You will have the opportunity to supervise 2 other lawyers in the team.
- The position offers an opportunity to be exposed to complex legal and regulatory issues and work on a broad range of products and services.
- The position will also involve interaction with relevant Regional lawyers as well as representatives of other control functions.
- You will be involved in significant projects and issues affecting UKC/IPB businesses.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, please click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV or please contact Patrick McDonald today If you would like more detail on this job or for a confidential discussion on your legal career.
If you're looking for a new legal opportunity in a specific location, we have a strategic office network spanning Ireland and the UK, a team of over 30 specialist legal recruitment consultants that can assist you with your job search.
Experience: 0 yrs